Join Our Team: Deputy Advocacy Director
United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 175,000 members as well as 55 local groups, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building cutting edge technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven track record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
The Deputy Advocacy Director is responsible for building and developing UWD’s advocacy team to win our state and local policy agenda; developing strategy to move the organization’s agenda forward; and for providing input on the organization’s strategic vision and priorities. This position is charged with driving one of the most active and impactful advocacy and policy agendas in the immigrant rights movement. To be successful in this job, an individual must work well under pressure and get excited about developing the next generation of advocacy leaders on both the state and local levels because we’re in the business of supporting our affiliate groups and leaders to lead. This is a full time, salaried exempt position based in Washington, DC.
- Advocacy & Policy:
- Responsible for developing advocacy strategy for UWD’s state and local campaigns to meet national goals and vision.
- Assist Advocacy Director in developing advocacy priorities and ensure process includes UWD’s leadership and membership.
- Work with Advocacy Director in development of recommendations for UWD new advocacy/policy areas based on the needs of membership and organization’s strategic position.
- Help ensure that UWD’s advocacy asks are met, including input from key staff and National Leadership Committee (UWD coordinating body).
- Work with relevant staff to identify areas of research and analysis to advance UWD’s advocacy priorities.
- Assist Advocacy Director in informing organizational allies and partners as well as Members of Congress or respective entities about UWD’s advocacy priorities
- Supervise the work that ensures UWD’s leadership and membership are informed and understand UWD advocacy priorities and ensures we educate our members and develop the advocacy capacity of UWD leaders/affiliates
- Manage External Relationships
- Assist in development and maintenance of relationships with key policymakers.
- Work with key advocacy organizations to achieve shared policy goals.
- Ensure policymakers, partner organizations and allies are kept updated on UWD’s advocacy priorities and positions.
- Represent UWD in advocacy coalition tables/groups as well as with with agencies and ensure there are field leaders and members participating in meetings.
- Supervise Advocacy Coordinator and junior staff.
- Within the Advocacy Department assist in development of department’s work plan to meet its goals along with staff and personal work plans and goals.
- Manage Advocacy consultants and help develop deliverables in keeping with the department’s work plan and monitor timeliness and quality of work products.
- Work with communications team to develop talking points, statements, and media strategy as it relates to campaigns, advocacy priorities, and political strategy, as well as campaign messaging and policy positions
- Work with Advocacy Director and Development Director in writing funder reports including progress on goals and accomplishments of advocacy department.
- Work with Executive Director and Development Director to develop materials, talking points for proposals and communications with funders.
- Provide briefing materials for UWD Executive, Advocacy, and Development Directors for funder meetings about UWD’s advocacy priorities and strategies.
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- Four+ years of progressively relevant experience with substantial experience working in the areas of policy and advocacy.
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills
- At least 3 years of multi-staff management experience
- Ability to manage multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and oral) in Spanish, Korean or Hindi.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and one writing sample via email to [email protected] and include DEPUTY ADVOCACY DIRECTOR – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.