Join Our Team: Field Communications Coordinator
United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 175,000 members as well as 55 local groups, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building cutting edge technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven track record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
The Field Communications Coordinator is part of United We Dream’s new team focused exclusively on increasing the communications capacity of field groups and leaders. In addition to ensuring that the voices of our local affiliates and leaders are heard, the Field Communications team will develop a pipeline of experienced communicators who can bring their skills to all aspects of social justice movement work in the future.
The Field Communications Coordinator will provide strategic planning, coaching and hands on support for a portfolio of local communications campaigns and leaders in addition to developing communications training curricula and serving as a trainer. The Coordinator will also be charged with ensuring that local teams have the communications assets they need to succeed including media lists and other technical tools.
For the winning candidate, communicating should be a breeze and you need to pass this skill on! You should be a comfortable presenter and coach who can help others come out of their shell so that they shine, communicate with an intersectional lens and build the power they need to lead in their communities.
The Field Communications Coordinator will report to the Field Communications Manager. This is a full time position based in Washington, DC with some flexibility.
- Provide communications support to a portfolio of local affiliate groups and leaders in the form of strategic planning, coaching and hands-on support
- Create synergy between national messaging with local strategies
- Coach & train affiliate organizations on: maintaining press relationships, localizing messaging, and training — our goal is to create local communications experts so that one day we can be as hands off of their press markets as possible
- Write, edit and revise press advisories, releases and statements — remembering to work with the affiliate to make them responsible for maintaining relationships
- Advise and pitch actions and spokespeople to local press
- Prep spokespeople for interviews
- Maintain central press list database and other technical tools
- Occasionally provide on-site communications support
- Track and catalogue news clips and assist local groups in assessing their communications work
Abilities and Experience:
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills.
- Proven experience with local earned media campaigns
- Experience with training and coaching young leaders
- Skilled at community organizing
- #Humble – you love to make others look and sound great
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and oral) in Spanish preferred
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred
- Don’t think you meet one of these requirements or quite fit the box we’ve described? This is a comms job – convince us why we should hire you anyway.
The deadline for applications is March 10, 2017 or until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and at least three writing samples via email to [email protected] and include COMMUNICATIONS FIELD COORDINATOR – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
As this is a communications role, your cover letter, resume and choice of writing samples should be a pleasure to read and inspire us to give you a call.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.