Join Our Team: National Communications Manager
United We Dream is the largest immigrant youth-led organization in the country. We create welcoming spaces for young people – regardless of immigration status – to support, engage, and empower them to make their voice heard and win!
With a monthly online reach of 4 million, more than 175,000 members as well as 55 local groups, UWD is made up of fearless youth fighting to improve the lives of our members and their families. Our vision is a society which celebrates our diversity and believes in a multi-ethnic, intersectional path to getting there.
Whether we’re organizing in the streets, providing immigration services, building cutting edge technology systems, opening doors for LGBTQ immigrant youth, clearing pathways to education, stopping deportations or creating alliances across social movements, United We Dream puts undocumented immigrant youth in the driver’s seat. UWD is a fast paced, dynamic organization which has become a leading voice in social change and has appeared in every major news outlet in the country.
We are driven by the priorities and needs of our members, have trained thousands of individuals and have supported countless local organizing groups. Our grassroots driven approach has a proven track record of success and we’re looking for talented folks to join our team!
We are looking for a creative and visionary leader to manage United We Dream’s national media relations portfolio – one of the most active in the social justice movement.
The National Communications Manager will be charged with using their relationships with national and select local media to communicate the unique voice and perspective of United We Dream to our targets. The person filling this role will serve as UWD’s lead writer of all media material, lead and will always be three steps ahead of the news.
The winning candidate will have a voracious appetite for opportunities to achieve victories and shape the narrative to advance our 2020 Vision Strategic Plan. The National Communications Manager reports to the Communications Director. This is a full time position based in Washington, DC.
- Develop and manage national media relationships for United We Dream and our leaders
- Collaborate with the Field Communications Manager to ensure that a cohesive message and strategy is being communicated at the national and local level.
- Pitch stories, field media inquiries and maintain relationships with reporters, editorial staff, columnists, bookers, hosts and bloggers
- Lead writer and editor press statements, media advisories, press releases, talking points and background memos
- Plan and support press events organized by United We Dream, affiliate groups and partners
- Develop messages for UWD’s range of audiences
- Contribute to the political strategic direction of the Network
- Identify and train spokespeople for press events and interviews in both English and Spanish
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with communications staff and lead volunteers of UWD Affiliates and partners
- Find opportunities to advance the interests of United We Dream members and programs through the news media
- Manage all UWD media lists and tools
- Manage others
- Track news clips and continually assess and improve UWD’s impact on the media
Abilities and Experience:
- Excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal communications skills
- At least 3 years of communications or relevant experience preferred
- Track-record of success working with new and traditional media
- Able to implement a rapid response communication strategy
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and hold self and others accountable
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast paced environment
- Natural ability to build relationships, lead and train others
- Ability to communicate fluently (written and oral) in Spanish
- Deeply committed to United We Dream’s mission and an ability to balance your burning passion for justice with a good sense of humor
- Experience on immigrant youth/immigrant rights organizing and advocacy preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent preferred but not required
- Don’t think you meet one of these requirements or quite fit the box we’ve described? This is a comms job – convince us why we should hire you anyway.
The deadline for applications is March 10, 2017 or until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter, resume and at least three writing samples via email to [email protected] and include COMMUNICATIONS NATIONAL MANAGER – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in the subject line. Please do not send duplicate materials and incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.
As this is a communications role, your cover letter, resume and choice of writing samples should be a pleasure to read and inspire us to give you a call.
UWD is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UWD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, age or disability.